You Rely On Your Driver’s License

For many people in southwest Michigan, driving is not optional. It is a necessity to get to work or school, pick up children and manage daily errands, especially in the winter. Trying to survive without a driver’s license is not just an inconvenience. You could lose your job and, thus, your ability to provide for your family.

The good news is that you may be able to get your license back. Some people successfully have their driver’s license restored, even when it was revoked for multiple DUIs. Talk to our criminal defense attorneys to find out if this could be an option for you.

Are You Eligible To Restore Your License?

Eligibility to restore a driver’s license mainly depends upon timing. The law requires the revocation of your license for at least one year when you receive two DUIs within a seven-year span. It requires revocation for at least five years when you receive three DUIs within 10 years. You cannot shorten those time frames, but if you have met your minimum revocation time, you may appeal to the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) to restore your license.

If you drive without your license, however, you can extend those minimum times. Any type of moving violation without your license automatically triggers an additional revocation required by law.

The Process For Restoring Your License

In order to restore your driver’s license, you must appeal the revocation to the Administrative Hearing Section (AHS) of the SOS. You will have a hearing where you must prove that you have your drug or alcohol problem “under control” and it is “likely to remain under control.” You must have “clear and convincing” evidence that this is true.

Many drivers show their sobriety by joining a group like Alcoholics Anonymous, though not everyone goes this route and are still able to win their cases. The court system is familiar with AA, however, so judge’s trust its methodology. The important thing is that you can show the court that you are sober, and can remain so.

Was Your License Suspended?

If your license was only suspended, your situation is a little different from a full revocation. A suspension is temporary, and you can challenge your suspension in court for two types of offenses:

If your license was suspended because you owe money, your only option is to pay the fee. On the other hand, if the suspension lasts for a specific period of time, a criminal defense attorney may be able to argue for the court to shorten that time.